20040923: IDV - 1st time using this

>From: "Bryan Smith" <address@hidden>

Hi Bryan-

>Institution: student Ball State University
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_01
> ; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_1.1\\jre;
>Inquiry: An error has occurred:
>There was an error loading the data:
>Failed to open C:\Documents and Settings\vbcadmin\Desktop\6500KIWX20021110_202
> 510.Z Data object "C:\Documents and Settings\vbcadmin\Desktop\6500KIWX2002111
> 0_202510.Z" not compatible with "VisADDataSource" data family

From this error, it looks like you are trying to import some Level II
data that you downloaded from NCDC.  A couple of things to note:

- You need to uncompress the file before the IDV will be able to read it.
- You should use the Radar->Level II tab in the IDV Data Source Selector
  to load in this type of data.  Most archived Level II data files do
  not have any location information in them.  The IDV needs to associate
  a station with the file to correctly locate it on the map.  The
  Level II chooser allows you to associate the proper locatio with the
  file.   If you put your file in a directory KIWX, the IDV would automatically
  select the correct location for you.

See the following web page for some more information:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/userguide/quickstart/RadarLevelII.html

I will add a note on this to the FAQ for the next release.

Don Murray