20040729: Displaying image data in IDV

>From: Andrew Watts <address@hidden>

Hi Andrew-

>I am a software engineer at a US government contractor, and at this
>point I am honestly not sure what I can tell you and what I can't, so
>for the time being, use will have to remain private.  But, and it
>probably goes without saying, I am interested in integrating and
>visualizing GIS and meterological data while maintaining industry
>standards such as the OGC standards for GIS data.

As you know, the IDV code is available for free under the LGPL.
Please keep in mind that Unidata's support policy it to provide
direct support to degree granting institutions.  Support to others
is limited to available time and effort.  You can view our policy at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/legal/participation.html#support

>I have now switched and compiling from source.

Okay.

> [...]
> r.toReference(MapProjectionDisplay.java:1282)
>        at visad.DisplayTupleType.setTuples(DisplayTupleType.java:147)
>        at visad.DisplayTupleType.<init>(DisplayTupleType.java:84)
>        at ucar.unidata.view.geoloc.MapProjectionDisplay.setDisplayTypes(MapPr
> ojectionDisplay.java:826)
>        at ucar.unidata.view.geoloc.MapProjectionDisplay.resetMapParameters(Ma
> pProjectionDisplay.java:998)
>        at ucar.unidata.view.geoloc.MapProjectionDisplay.setMapProjection(MapP
> rojectionDisplay.java:542)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.MapViewManager.setMapProjection(MapViewManager.jav
> a:1309)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.MapViewManager.setMapProjection(MapViewManager.jav
> a:1266)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.MapViewManager.addDisplayInfo(MapViewManager.java:
> 1352)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.DisplayInfo.addDisplayable(DisplayInfo.java:155)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.addDisplayable(DisplayC
> ontrolImpl.java:3141)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.addDisplayable(DisplayC
> ontrolImpl.java:3118)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.addDisplayable(DisplayC
> ontrolImpl.java:3063)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.addDisplayable(DisplayC
> ontrolImpl.java:3049)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ImageSequenceControl.loadDataInner(ImageSe
> quenceControl.java:459)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ImageSequenceControl.loadData(ImageSequenc
> eControl.java:310)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ImageSequenceControl.access$000(ImageSeque
> nceControl.java:96)
>        at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ImageSequenceControl$1.run(ImageSequenceCo
> ntrol.java:182)
>        at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$1.run(Misc.java:1294)
>

>java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -922746881
>        at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.GVARnav.toLatLon(GVARnav.java:723)
>        at visad.data.mcidas.AREACoordinateSystem.toReference(AREACoordinateSy
> stem.java:224)
>        at visad.CoordinateSystem.toReference(CoordinateSystem.java:741)
>        at visad.CoordinateSystem.transformCoordinatesFreeUnits(CoordinateSyst
> em.java:443)
>        at visad.CoordinateSystem.transformCoordinates(CoordinateSystem.java:2
> 89)
>        at visad.DataImpl.computeReferenceRanges(DataImpl.java:1346)
>        at visad.SampledSet.computeRanges(SampledSet.java:283)
>        at visad.FlatField.computeRanges(FlatField.java:4707)
>        at visad.FieldImpl.computeRanges(FieldImpl.java:2941)
>        at visad.DataRenderer.computeRanges(DataRenderer.java:392)
>        at visad.DataRenderer.prepareAction(DataRenderer.java:346)
>        at visad.DisplayRenderer.prepareAction(DisplayRenderer.java:844)
>        at visad.DisplayImpl.doAction(DisplayImpl.java:1644)
>        at visad.ActionImpl.run(ActionImpl.java:353)
>        at visad.util.ThreadPool$ThreadMinnow.run(ThreadPool.java:95)

I downloaded an image from that site and was able to load it with no
errors.  If you can provide a sample that has problems, that would help.

re: DEM
>Thanks, these are working.  After compiling from source, and including
>the missing library from the installer,  I did try my geotiff again
>and am now out of memory.  Any idea about how much memory is needed to
>load a 215MB geotiff of the, I have allocated 1gig (just about the max
>on my machine).  I will work on getting a smaller one, but if you have
>any known source of geotiffs that will work with IDV they would be
>appreciated.

The IDV is very memory intensive when it comes to imagery.  I don't think
you'd have a prayer of loading in that big an image in the current verison.
I think the only projection we support is a world projection.  This has
not been a high prioirty item and it is just a matter of adding in the
code to handle support for all the different tags.  More work will be done
in the future, but I don't have a timeline on that.  We're short handed
at present.

Don Murray