20040729: IDV cross section units

>From: NATHAN LOUIS UHLENBROCK <address@hidden>

Hi Nate-

>I am using the IDV to display u-direction winds in a cross-section from archiv
> ed RUC data.  When the view box for the cross section comes up and displays t
> he winds in the graph, the z-axis is altitude.  I was wondering what the unit
> s are, i.e., meters above sea level, meters agl, etc.
>Thanks!

The values are in meters above sea level in the standard atmosphere.
The orginal data is probably on a pressure coordinate and in the
IDV we use the standard atmospher to convert to msl.   Since it
is a straight conversion, you could also think of the vertical
axis as a pressure axis with the pressure lines being horizontal.

Don