20040721: IDV improvement suggestion

>From: address@hidden

Hi Simon-

>Hi - I noticed (as far as I can tell) that when displaying lev II radar
>data with IDV, you can't change the thickness of the range rings or range
>ring labels.  You can with just about everything else (maps, lat-lon
>lines...).

Good suggestion, I'll add that to the TODO list.  Don't think it will
make it into the next release though.

>Also, it would be great if the color bar was displayed on the images so it
>would be there when images/animations are captured.

If you are running IDV 1.1 beta 3, if you go to the Edit menu of the
radar display control window, you can add a color bar to the display
by checking the "Show Color Scale in Display" checkbox.  There are
a couple of caveats about this:

1) You need to have the projection set to the default (no zooming or
rotating) (Ctrl-R in the main window or click the Top option
in the projection toolbar or View->Viewpoint menu).

2) If you add multiple color scales they will overwrite each other.

3) There is no way to customize the scale at present.

This is a beta feature, that needs a lot of work, but if you
accept the caveats, it's pretty useful.

>Still a really good tool!

Thanks.  It's still under development so input from users like
you helps make it better.

BTW, we'll be releasing a non-beta 1.1 in a couple of weeks.
It has some nice new features like 2D fields draped over topography,
improved legend system and other performance enhancements.

Don Murray