20040720: Setup of DODS and THREDDS catalog generator

>From: "Poon Suk Kit" <address@hidden>

Hi-

>You mean the upper section for default data type not the  lower URL section
>then select the default data type.

No, I meant in the URL section.  When I tried with 1.1 beta 3, it seemed
like it would work with the default setting.

>If just treating the file from local directory using the upper section, it
>works.

Okay.

>But when selecting it as a URL and picking the default data type, it failed.

Try changing the http: to dods: and see if the default works then.

e.g., change:

http://dcs001.smg.net/cgi-bin/nph-dods/datacenter/data/idv/avn/avn_2004070112.nc

to:

dods://dcs001.smg.net/cgi-bin/nph-dods/datacenter/data/idv/avn/avn_2004070112.nc

If not, here's another thing you can try:

1) Create a file called datasource.xml that would look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<datasources>

   <datasource id="DODS.GRID"
factory="ucar.unidata.data.grid.DodsGeoGridDataSource"

patterns="http://.*/cgi-bin/nph-dods/.*$,http://.*/dods/.*$,dods://.*$";

   />
</datasources>

and place this in the IDV user's ~/.metapps/DefaultIdv directory.

Start up the IDV and then try using the default type with your file.  The
patterns are a set of regular expression patterns that will be used
for finding files.

If you want this to be applicable to all users, then place the file
on a globally accessible web server or file directory and use the
-sitepath option when starting the IDV to point to that directory.
For example, if you place the datasource.xml file on
"http://dcs001.smg.net/idv/resources";, you would start the IDV as
runIDV -sitepath http://dcs001.smg.net/idv/resources/

and it would pick up all the resource files you put there.  You can
put resources like colortables, parameter defaults, etc there.
Unfortunately, this is not well documented, but it will be in
the next release.  In the mean time, you can look at the
Configuring IDV sites section of the Training workshop materials at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/docs/workshop/advanced/SiteInstallation.html

for some explanation.

Sorry for the problems you are encountering.  If you are still having
problems with this, let us know.

Don Murray