20040715: DEM Data

>From: Deno Karapatakis <address@hidden>

Hi Deno-

>I figured it out and its up and running.  However the term DEM is generic

The Digital Elevation Model (DEM) data we support are the USGS DEM format:

http://rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/elevation/dpi_dem.html

and dem data in the ArcInfo ASCIIGRID format:

http://www.climatesource.com/format/arc_asciigrid.html

actually, you can store any raster data (precip, etc) in the latter,
but the IDV has no way yet of determining the type and unit of
the data.  It's on the list of things to do. ;-)

>By chance I came across something that led me to asciigrid format.
>I searched the help docs and users guide and could not find anything
>The DEMS I'm using came from SC DNR ( ascii format) and are brought into
>ArcView app
>using USGS DEM format. IDV kept giving me errors about improper format.
>So I converted
>data to ascii raster and it worked.

Glad you got it working.  Let us know if you have other questions.

Don