20040602: IDV - linux - point data files and displays

The netcdf file name must include the word "metar."  Is this specific to the IDV or is it
part of netcdf conventions?  Is there a way to not include "metar" in the file name for
data that is not metar data?

Hi Stu,
You probably forgot but, normally the IDV uses a set of patterns (e.g., "*metar*) to figure out what kind of data a selected file is. However, in the File chooser you can explicitly specify the type of data you are selecting.

The sample metar file I have has variable "elevation" but changing the
elevation value does not appear to move the display off the surface at elevation=0.  Is
there a way to plot point observations at true altitude or depth?

If you look at the source code in:
ucar/unidata/data/point/PointObFactory.java
the line:
           int altIndex = type.getIndex(RealType.Altitude);
is where we are looking for altitude information. If you are not getting it perhaps your data set needs to be modified?

Is there a way to make new plot symbols to match new data types, symbols which
are not in the set provided?  How can they be made to depend on the numerical
value of a variable, as does the wind barb display?  For example, circles of
various sizes to indicate a density.

Right now there is no end-user way to define new symbols. The symbol types (TextSymbol, ValueSymbol, Windbarb, WeatherSymbol) we use are hard coded in the station model editor (ucar/unidata/ui/symbol/StationModelCanvas) and their use is defined in the StationModelDisplayable class (in the makeShapes(PointOb ob) method). You would need to generalize the StationModelCanvas class to be able to import new symbol types and then would need to change StationModelDisplayable to defer to the unknown symbol objects
when creating the line arrays.

Can a plot symbol be made 3d, for example, spheres?

The StationModelDisplayable creates the symbols using low-level visad line arrays. I guess whatever symbols that supports is what could possibly be displayed.

-Jeff