20040528: Transparency in IDV 1.1b3 vs IDV 1.0.1

>From: Bernard Mendiburu /Loni-UCLA/ <address@hidden>

Hi Bernard-

>I'm using IDV 1.0.1 and IDV 1.1b3
>Both with OpenGL
>
>I use the transparency to display two isosurface data.
>In 1.0.1 it works, if you respect the loading order of the layers.
>You told us it's a java 3D bug.
>
>In 1.1b3 the transparency is not working.

I'm unclear about what you mean here.

I just loaded in two isosurfaces of the same field in 1.1beta 3,
set them to different values and used the color table editor to
change the transparency of the secondly loaded  surface.  I saved
it as a bundle and then loaded it back in and the isosurface
was transparent.

(However, I did note that the transparency did not show up
in the color table editor and I'll add that to the bug list).

>When I open, in 1.1b3, a .xidv view created with 1.0.1 with
>transparency, the transparency is working fine...

Which is should.  The different between 1.0 and 1.1 as far
as isosurface tranparency is that in 1.0 there was a slider
in the isosurface control and in 1.1 you use the color table
editor.  This is more consistent with the way of setting
transparency with any of the other controls.  It also allows
you to set variable transparencies for different parts of the
color table.

Don Murray