20040423: IDV solaris build - no 3D

>From: Tom Whittaker <address@hidden>

Hi Tom-

re: Solaris IA installers
>Actually, it's Pete's AOS dept machines we were trying to do the install on.
>He won't be back until Tuesday, so I forwarded your note -- hopefully he
>should be able to test it then.
>
>There are going to be some issues up there (1411 classroom/lab) because there
>are at least 3 flavors of SPARCs in the room...and none of them is very fast
>or "big" (512MB in 3 out of the 12 or so...I believe Pete said the rest are
>either 128M or 256M.)

Well, let me know about the installer and the performance on the
slower machines.  It really depends what people load in that makes
the difference in how much RAM they use.  But, since this will be
for a Sat Met class, I think performance may suffer.

re: web page examples
>These are great!  Really gonna whet some appetites with these...I'm curious,
>though, why there are some animated GIFs and some Quicktimes...

Animated GIFs were created before we added in QuickTime support most
likely.  Also, animated GIFs are better for including PowerPoint
presenstations since you can't (that I know of) embed a QuickTime
movie in a slide.  I've only been able to do it as spawning an
external viewer.

Don