20040324: Creating a vertical profile

>From: "Paul Gifford" <address@hidden>

Hi Paul-

>  It's working now...finally!

Great!

>My next question involves categories and
>controls.xml.  When my profile data is displayed in the Data selector I only
>want "Vertical Profile" in the "Displays" list box.  I tinkered around with
>creating a new category in controls.xml but I haven't been able to get it to
>work.  My approach was to clone the control with id "profile" and give my
>element a new id and categories.  Unfortunately I havn't been able to make
>it work.  What do I need to put in the controls.xml file and in my
>DataCategory.parseCategories("...") call to display only "Vertical profile"
>in the Data selector?

I tried the following and it seemed to work:

1) change controls.xml and for the vertical profile, change the
category to:

categories="GRID-3D-*;profile"

2) For your DataChoice, do something like:

        addDataChoice(
             new DirectDataChoice(
                  this, "foo", "foo", "The foo parameter",
                  DataCategory.parseCategories("profile", false),
                  (DataSelection) null));

The key that I think you were missing is to pass in the false for
the parseCategories.  The default is true, which says that the first
item in the semicolon separated list is for a display category only
(i.e. "2D grids;profile" with true would put the data under a
category of 2D grids in the Field selector, with a category of
profile for whatever DataChoice you have).  Passing in
false says the first in the list is a real DataCategory.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

BTW, I'll be out all next week, but will have Jeff McWhirter
answering support, so if you still need some answers send in
your questions.

Don