Re: MetApps

Hi Kevin-

Kevin Manross wrote:
I want to make use of the ShapefileAdapter class of your MetApps package. I have downloaded the MetApps package and am now trying to compile it. Is it necessary to install the entire IDV to properly compile the metapps package?

I have attempted to build the package by itself with "ant", but keep getting errors. Thanks for any help that you can provide!

See the instructions at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/userguide/SourceBuild.html

and run through them.  We'd appreciate any feedback on those
instructions.

Basically, unpack idv_src.jar, create a lib
directory that is a peer of the ucar directory (i.e. metapps/lib)
and unzip idv_jars.zip into lib.  Then from the ucar directory,
run "ant idv" to get the Shapefile stuff compiled. Guess I should
add this to the FAQ.

Alternatively, can you just add idv.jar to your classpath?  It should
have the shapefile stuff there and all you should need to do is
construct a ShapefileAdapter class or use the MapFamily or
ShapefileForm to open the shapefile.

Right now, all it does is read the polygons into a UnionSet.  We
need to add support for the attribute data in the .dbf file.
I'm at the AAG conference in PHL right now and just gave a talk on the
IDV this morning.  Got some good ideas to throw into the pot
for future IDV development, including what to do about shapefiles.

Let me know if you have any problems/questions.  I've redirected this
to reply to address@hidden which is the preferred support
address.  That way I can get this conversation into the archives in
case I'm out of contact.

Don
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support