20040127: IDV: Questions.

Hi Mark-

Powell, Mark (Cont,ARL/CISD) wrote:

I am working at integrating IDV into the Army IMETS system. It's working fine now but I have a couple questions that you may be able to help me with. First, we build a system via an automated install foundation. We are using the InstallAnywhere version of IDV and were wondering if you could provide a version with a silent install. Or if you might know of a way for us to make the current one silent, could you help?

We use the free version of InstallAnywhere at this point and it does
not allow to build a silent install.  Is it possible to install to
one machine and then tar up the directory and set up a shell script
that would just untar it?

We also have a desire to display CADRG image files (maps). I don't see that capability on the list of features. Any plans to support this image type?

I think you asked about this at the workshop.  Do you have a sample
file?  From a Google search, it seems like some sort of GeoTIFF file
and we are in the process of supporting GeoTIFFs.  So supporting
CADRG files might just be a fallout of that work.

Last, we would like to read a raw GRIB file. I remember a mention that this feature was coming soon, any news on that end?

At this point, it's still on our TODO list.  Over the next
couple of months, we are working on our priorities list.
We lost one developer, so we are shorthanded at the moment.
However, someone else in Unidata is working on GRIB and
GRIB2 java components and we hope to use those for the IDV
work.  Part of it is based on the JGrib package.  How are your
GRIB files organized? (i.e., one variable, all times per file or
all variables per one timestep per file, or ....)

A Capt Richard Gonzales who was at the Air Force Institute
of Technology (AFIT) did some work a while back on reading
GRIB into the IDV.  He's now at Offutt (I think) and was also
interested in the IDV for Air Force use.  His initial work
was on the Airborne Laser system (ABL).

Sorry I can't be more definitive on these issues.

Don Murray
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support