20040122: jython methods in IDV

Hi Bill-

Fingerhut, William A wrote:
I've written a jython method to subtract U. S. Standard Atmosphere temperature from model forecast temperature with the IDV. Vertical cross sections look real nice! Vertical profiles and isosurfaces are cool too.

See, I knew if I waited long enough, someone else would do the
work. ;-)

It took a while to get it right, and I was thinking that there has to be an easier way to find the needed information. My best idea is for users to contribute methods to be posted on the IDV web site. Did Tom suggest this last summer? I didn't see it; does
this exist?

We're in the process of figuring out the best way to do this.
In fact, Jeff and I were just talking yesterday about how to make
it easy for  users to plug in new formulas and jython libraries
without having to restart the IDV.

I am pretty sure my method works, but I would love to know if I am doing things the right way. Any chance someone could
look it over (under 20 lines) and give me some feedback? If so, who?

You can send it to me (through support).

After creating a few displays, I saved a bundle file. I didn't see my method in the bundle file. So, if I were to give the bundle file to another user without explicitly providing the method, would the bundle produce the desired result?

No.  We'll discuss how this could be done in the future.  So
for now, I'd need your procedure and your bundle (which I have).

You asked the other day about who to send requests to (me or
Tom).  Please send any IDV related questions to support instead
of me so we can get them into the tracking system.  Tom, Jeff
and I talked about how we can gather input from the steering
committee while we were in Seattle.  You should be hearing
from Tom in the next month.

Don
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support