20040120: View After AMS Meeting // Status of Effort to create Output File

>From: David Weissman <address@hidden>

Hi David-

>I will be meeting with some of my research colleagues in
>NOAA/NWS later this week. It will be helpful to me if
>you could provide me with your latest point of view
>on the possible extension of the IDV software that would
>permit recording the reflectivity and its position data, which
>we had discussed last month.

I did not make much progress on this last week..

>Did your interactions at the AMS meeting lead to any
>definitive opinion about whether or not this would be
>worthwhile to your organization and constituents?
>If I am the only one you know who is interested, is
>there any way I could arrange this. If necessary I could
>pay for some special software or programming.

I have one other person who is interested in an ascii dump
of the data.  My thoughts are to create a Jython script that
would dump out the values.  The stumbling block is converting
range/az/elevation to lat/lon/alt.  Not so much a stumbling
block as much as figuring out the easiest way to do this.

It is not easy for us to take on special projects through
extra money.  We are not a job shop and are fully funded
to do the tasks that we have for our community.  This request
will have to just fit in with our other priorities.  I have
added it to the list of tasks, but we are just now in the
process of prioritizing these through our IDV Steering
Committee and that process will occur over the next month.

Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer on when this
might be completed.  I'd be happy to help your programmer
figure something out as time permits if you wanted to pursue
this on your own.

Don Murray