20031222: problem running IDV on SGI

>From: Joan Slottow <address@hidden>

Hi Joan-

Another user noted the same problem and it appears to be a bug
in SGI's Java implementation.  A trouble report was sent to
SGI (case 2485222), but it has not been resolved.  The other
user found this to be a problem when upgrading from java 1.3.1
to 1.4.1, which uses the hotspot compiler by default.  He found
that if he added a -classic flag to the java invocation, the
problem did not occur.  However, then you lose the hotspot
advantage.  Could you please try it with the -classic flag
and see if the problem goes away.  Also, can you confirm
that you are using Java 2 1.3?

According to SGI, this occurs when JAVA_OPENGL_NATIVE is set,
but it must be set to use Java 3D.  They suggested upgrading
to the newest release of xerces, which we have done for the
next release (which won't be out until Feb 2004).  Frankly,
their "fix" sounds like a kludge rather than an actual fix.

So, the short answer is:

1) try using the -classic flag to see if the problem goes away.

Let me know if this helps.  I'll follow up with SGI.  Thanks
for reporting this and for providing the detail you did.

Don

From:      Joan Slottow <address@hidden>
Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:15:56 -0800

You are correct.  We installed 1.4.1 as follows and adding -classic does fix
it.

Java2 sdk 1.3 or higher
http://www.sgi.com/products/evaluation/6.5_java2_1.4.1_02/