20031118: HAS data and IDV

>From: "David Cissell" <address@hidden>

Hi David-

>Thanks for your response.

That's what we're here for. ;-)

>Well, this used to be the correct site.  It doesn't seem to want to work
>now!
>http://has.ncdc.noaa.gov/plclimprod/plsql/HAS.DsSelect

Okay.  So you are downloading files from NCDC. I had just never
heard it called the HAS before.  The URL above worked for me.

>Its Java WebStart 1.2, and IDV version 1.0.1
>Is that the latest version?

No, the latest is 1.1 beta 2.  Unfortunately, the webstart page
didn't get updated when we did the release a couple of weeks ago.
Sorry about that.  If you start the IDV again, you should get
the new version downloaded and installed.

>I simply use WinZip v.8.1 and extract the files into a separate directory.
>The files end up like:
>KSGF20020508_164410   (Winzip file)... and so on.

Okay, I just tried this. The most likely problem is that the individual
files are compressed (.Z) extension. To use these in the IDV, you need
to uncompress them first.

>> To display level II data, you would need to download and uncompress
>> the files into a directory.  Then, from the Data source selector,
>> choose the Radar Data tab, then the Level II tab.  Use the
>> file selector to go to the directory that you installed the
>> files in.  You will need to select the appropriate station
>> in the Location selector because Level II data does not contain
>> that information.  Once you have selected the files you want to
>> see, press the Load Data button to load the source into the
>
>(I don't see a Load Data button, I just hit Open, and get an error
>message... An exception has occurred.  Unable to open dataset.  unable to
>create adapters)

Sorry, I was going from memory and they say that's the first to go. ;-)
It should be the OK button.

>> Data Selector.  From the Data Selector, then choose the parameter,
>> times and display types you want.
>
>I think I did everything elso correctly.
>
>Thanks for you help, Don.  Maybe I can this to work soon...

Yes, I was able to recreate the error you see.  Uncompressing the
individual files should allow you to view the data in the IDV.

Let us know if you are still having problems or have other questions.

Don Murray