20031019: xidv -> jnlp bundles (cont.)

Kalika,

There are several doSave methods in
ucar/unidata/idv/IntegratedDataViewer.java. Use the method
  public boolean doSave (String filename).
This method is called when an .xidv bundle or .jnlp file is made. I put
System.out.println(" idv -  doSave for "+filename);
as the first line in that method and I see the output
idv -  doSave for /home/wier/IDV_docs/test_bundle_33.xidv for an xidv
file and
idv -  doSave for /home/wier/IDV_docs/test_bundle_33.jnlp for a jnlp
file.
when running from the command line.

Here is a way to force the IDV to print an error message to the console.

Use the Data Source Selector, Gridded Data tab, and "Catalogs:"

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idv/rt-models.xml

Choose for example NCEP RUC 80km CONUS model data -> Latest NCEP RUC
80km CONUS model data

Click Load Data

In the Data Selector window, under Fields open 2D Grid, and click on any
parameter. Under Times
click off Use all and click on one time. Under Displays click on Time
Series; and then click
on Create Display.

You will see an error box and this message goes to the console.

ERROR ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor - An error has occurred
ControlDescriptor.Creating display
Need more than one time to create a time series
visad.VisADException: Need more than one time to create a time series
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.TimeSeriesControl.setData(TimeSeriesControl.java:190)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.TimeSeriesControl.init(TimeSeriesControl.java:163)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1236)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:520)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:401)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.access$000(ControlDescriptor.java:64)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:386)
        at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$1.run(Misc.java:1016)

Let me know what happens

Stuart Wier

> >To: address@hidden
> >cc: address@hidden
> >From: Kalika Patil <address@hidden>
> >Subject: Re: 20031016:xidv -> jnlp bundles
>
> Hi
>
> I did try running it from console but strangely its not showing the
> println output.
>
> like i have given a println statment in doSave method in
> IntegratedDataViewer.java and i try saving a bundle file which should
> invoke doSave method. but its not happening.
>
> Bye
> Kalia
>
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Stuart Wier wrote:
>
> > Kalika,
> >
> > The IDV does not redirect output. If you start the IDV with a command
> > line, println output will appear in the same terminal window.  This is
> > what we do in developing the IDV.
> >
> > Web Start applications have their output redirected by Web Start to the
> > Web Start console. To see the console you need to run web Sart from a
> > command line with a special argument. I will find out what that is, but
> > will send this now first.
> >
> > Stuart

> > > I am using IDV source code.I have been givin some println statements in
> > > few java files but
> > > those r not showing up .is output redirected somewehre or do i need to
> > > give some command line arg to show me the println output on console.
> > >
> > > Bye
> > > Kalika

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service