20031015: Is projections.xml invalid XML?

Hi Todd-

Todd Plessel wrote:

Hope all is well at NCAR - no raging wildfires, freak icestorms, or worse.

It's actually been a pretty nice fall.  Finally had our killing
frost on Monday night.

We upgraded from Java 1.3.1 to Java 1.4.1_02 (on SGI).
One difference is that, by default, 1.3.1 uses the classic VM
while 1.4.1 uses the hotspot VM.

Unless we override the default and use "-classic" for 1.4.1
then IDV fails parsing 'projections.xml':

$ /usr/java2/bin/java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar
ERROR ucar.unidata.util.LogUtil - An exception has occurred
Error:
null
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1111)
        at ucar.unidata.xml.XmlUtil.getDocument(XmlUtil.java:737)
        at ucar.unidata.xml.XmlUtil.getDocument(XmlUtil.java:752)
        at ucar.unidata.xml.XmlUtil.getRoot(XmlUtil.java:686)
        at ucar.unidata.xml.XmlEncoder.toObject(XmlEncoder.java:468)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.initProjections(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1401)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.initResources(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1468)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.initResources(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1458)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.<init>(IntegratedDataViewer.java:729)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.<init>(DefaultIdv.java:115)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv.main(DefaultIdv.java:138)

Perhaps the file 'projections.xml' contains a defect which is
not detected by the older VM (classic) but is detected (and rejected)
by the newer VM (hotspot) version of org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.

Could you send me a copy of your projections.xml?  Is this
your local version or the one from the distribution?

We are using 1.4.X on Linux, Windows and Solaris with no
problems and have been for a while.  By default, it uses
HotSpot as well.

I tried to check the projections.xml file by submitting it to:
http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid/
however, since the XML file lacks a reference to a DTD,
the validation tool cannot check it (instead it flags everything
as an error).

Can you investigate this?
It would be nice to be able to run the latest VM.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm