Re: KDGX

Jason,

Actually it was far slower a year ago. Big progress was made cutting
down memory use and related actions, which speeded up the IDV. I do not
know if more big improvements are possible. The drag is not Java per se
but the 3d visualization code we use which is very complex. It is used
even when doing 2d plots.  Most of us here are using Intel processors
with speeds over 1.5 GHz. But I was
using 500 MHz to develop the IDV until last month.  RAM is essential for
faster performance; 500 meg is about the lower limit for no bottlenecks.
That depends on the data and displays you use of course. You can see the
present/max memory use in the bottom line of the IDV display window.

You can see multistation 3D Profiler plots in the current IDV, along
with grided output.

Stu Wier

> Stuart-
> I have recently upgraded the old computer IDV was running on - things
> are much faster now! I use the girded data quite a bit, and as a back up
> for other tools in place - I am just now getting into the world of the
> 3D,  will be a great tool for case studies etc etc. Are there plans to
> speed the program up a tad? I understand it is written in Java (which
> makes for all the good toys!) but you have to have a horse to run the
> IDV ;-)
> All in all I think the IDV is a great tool.

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service