IDV display of MET_CROSS_2.tiny.nc

Todd,

Don is on vacation for two weeks and I will be handling IDV support
while he is gone.

> > Thanks.  Please send a MET_CROSS_2 file that I can test with.
> > The one I had previously has sigma coords.
>
> The attached one is the same (but with slightly larger dimensions).
> my M3IOVGGridConvention.java converts from sigma to z in km above MSL.

We have your new files Convention.java and M3IOVGGridConvention.java. I
built the IDV with them and can load the data file MET_CROSS_2.tiny.nc.
Display requests sometimes work, and sometimes get tracebacks. When they
go through without making an error nothing is shown on the display other
than the map.  I will look at the tracebacks and see if I figure out
what is going on.

What geographic region should the displays cover? How big an area,
roughly? The plan view request shows a contol point off Baja (normally
in the lower left corner of the data); the vertical cross section shows
end control points in Illinois and Pennsylvania.

> > Also, what platform are you running on and what type of
> > graphics card are you using.
>
> SGI, Graphics board: EMXI
> Note VisAD examples appear to work fine.
>
> > My first thought was that this was a problem with clipping, but
> > since your map extends outside the box, you must not be clipping.
>
> It's not/can't:
> Couldn't set clipping visad.DisplayException: model clipping not supported in
> this version of Java3D

I don't know what this refers to. Don mentioned shading on rotated
vertical cross sections.

> Also, this message appears:
> Unknown unit water/dry air(g)

Nothing to worry about here. The IDV simply doesn't recognize the unit
name. Unless you are going to be doing calculations with this data in
the IDV, everthing works. Calculations handle recognized units
correctly. For more about units see the bottom of this web page:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_dataformats.html
which you may already be familiar with.

> > > 5. Is there a way to eliminate/control/reveal the vertical exaggeration?
> > Yes.  Under the View/Viewpoint/Vertical Scale... menu, the dialog
> > box allows you to set the vertical extents.  What are these set
> > to in your display?
>
> [0, 16000] meters.
> Changing to [0, 10.5] km made no difference (the bounding box is the same
> size and below the map).
> How can I make it automatically default to the range of the grid z?

So far there is no way to do this automatically.

> > > 6. Is there a way to get the date/time to appear in the image?
> > Under the View menu, you can click on the Show animation readout
> > checkbox and the times will appear in the display.
>
> It's checked but no time is shown.

Bummer. The MET_CROSS_2.tiny.nc file shows times here ok in the display,
1983-09-07, 00 to 07. By the way the levels the IDV sees in this data
are 6 levels from 0.06 to 10.45.

Stu Wier
Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service