IDV - 3D topography displays

Rich,

It's great to hear that you can see your bathymetry data in the IDV.

To plot topography data as a 3d relief image, the IDV needs two things.
First the unit of the data must be convertible with meter, which yours
is already, and second you need to make the variable name you use (such
as "h") an alias for altitude. In the IDV, do the main menu choice
Edit->Parameter aliases. In the table that pops up, click in the right
column of the row labeled ALTITUDE. Enter your variable in that cell;
the parameter names are a comma-separated list. Click on OK and load
your data into the IDV again. The display type "Topography" should be
available for that parameter.

Help is online at
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_mainmenu.html#mainEdit.
You can make your own topography color table with the color table editor
as described in
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_ColTabEd.html.
If you make a color table that would be good for bathymetry, you can
save it and we can add it to the IDV's system color tables, or others
can get it from you. Use the File->Export choice in the Color Table
Editor.

Stu

> Stuart,
>
> Hurrah!  When I added the "coordinates" attribute, IDV recognized it
> and I was able to display my bathymetry.   Thanks to John for pointing
> this out!
>
> I would like to now display my bathymetry (the water depth "h")
> as terrain data to visualize
> in 3D the topography of the sea floor.  I'm not seeing "Topography" as
> a Display type, however, with my newly-viewable 2D lat/lon file.  (I can
> view it in 3D via a mapping in the Omni Control, at least, by mapping
> h to z).
>
> Is there something else I need to specify to get IDV to recognize that
> "h" in the attached file is a topography variable and should have the
> "Topography" display type appear?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rich
>
> --
> Dr. Richard P. Signell                 |  address@hidden
> NATO/SACLANT Undersea Research Centre  |    Tel: (+39) 0187 527 381
> Viale San Bartolomeo 400               |    Fax: (+39) 0187 527 331
> 19138 La Spezia, ITALY  --> From USA/CANADA, use: APO AE 09613-5000

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service