IDV and CF files with sigma or ocean-s vertical coordinates

Richard,

We are starting work on adding the ability to read sigma and ocean-s
coordinates to the IDV. John Caron may write you something about this.
He writes much of the the code to read netCDf files for the IDV, and has
a lot of netCDF experience.

> Just to try to get something going, I tried interpolating my data to
> standard, fixed z-levels (z coordinate in meters) but still my test
> file did not read in IDV.   I then figured I would try something
> even simpler -- just writing out my 2D depth field.   To my surprise,
> this didn't work either.  Could it be that in addition to not handling
> dimensionless vertical coordinates, IDV also is not able (currently) to
> handle 2D lon/lat coordinates?   I'm attaching the CF compliant netcdf
> file that contains only the 2D bathy field.

It is only some CF files that cannot be read, those with irregular,
two-dimensional, latitude and longitide, or with vertical coordinates
not in pressure or height. We do use a large variety of earth-located
data mapped to latitude and longitude such as, but not limited to, the
examples in
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/UserGuide/IDV_datasources.html.
Adding the ability to read two-dimensional lat/long and sigma and s
coordinates will be an important addition. Our user community has been
very largely in the atmospheric sciences and naturally the IDV was
developed using their data. Some weather data uses the sigma vertical
coordinate and we have been planning to read that, but only now are
getting to it.

Stu Wier

> Thanks,
> Rich
>
> --
> Dr. Richard P. Signell                 |  address@hidden
> NATO/SACLANT Undersea Research Centre  |    Tel: (+39) 0187 527 381
> Viale San Bartolomeo 400               |    Fax: (+39) 0187 527 331
> 19138 La Spezia, ITALY  --> From USA/CANADA, use: APO AE 09613-5000

>                          Name: cf_test3.nc
>    cf_test3.nc           Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
>                      Encoding: base64
>               Download Status: Not downloaded with message

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service