Re: 20030625: IDV - Win 2000 Professional - Running IDV

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: "Subodh" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: IDV - Win 2000 Professional - Running IDV
>
> Institution: MIT
> Package Version: 1.0
> Operating System: Win 2000 Professional
> Hardware Information: 1 GB Memory, Pentium 4 1500 MHz
>
> Inquiry:
>
> I have been trying to use IDV to get some environment modeling
> done. I have to make animations of stuff like cloud patterns or radar
> readings over a length of time.

Welcome to the IDV!  Your work is what the IDV is designed to help with.
It is not clear to me what the IDV is doing with your data, but we will
try to figure it out
and get it working for you.

> When I select more than 5 sets of data
> (in the data source selection window-- and under the "image data" tab),
> it doesn't load at all and even when it does, the data isn't displayed
> on the screen.

Have you set up an ADDE server to provide your image data, rather than
The Data source selection window, Image data tab, is set up for ADDE
server
data access so I assume you must have.

You do see the images you expect with fewer than 5 images loaded?  The
IDV does
display at least one image as you expect it should?

What do you mean by it doesn't load at all sometimes?  No data source is
loaded in the
Data selector window? Or no display is created when you click Create
display?
I assume you are using "Image sequence" as "Fields" and "Image Display"
as
"Displays" in the Data selector window.

What java version are you running, and what graphics card? Some
combinations do not work
well together.

> And, sometimes, when the data does load, the background
> map never appears. I have tried toggling ang untoggling the "Toggle
> Map" thing but it still doesn't give me anything.

The map may be under the image. Use the menu choice Maps -> Map
selector. Slide the "Map position in display" slider a little ways from
"Bottom" and then click on Ok,

> So, I haven't been
> able to make animations which are more than 4 frames in length. This
> has limited my work considerably.  There have been other problems that
> I will bring to your attention later. Can I get some help please?

It may be your data files are too large for the
IDV to handle, especially when using 4 or more. What does the Memory
line in the bottom edge
of the IDV show? How much memory does your computer have?

Can you provide some sample image files on an FTP server or web page for
us to work with? Or make your ADDE server available to us? That would be
the best way for us to work on this.

Cheers,

Stuart Wier

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service