Re: data source for IDV

Hans-Juergen,

> It is also possible to update the catalog
> http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/THREDDS/catalog.xml

> takes quite a long time (very much data , I guess). I managed to load the NCEP
> u-wind and NCEP v-wind that contain (world-wide?) daily u and v components
> from
> 1979/01/01 till now. Unfortunately, it is not possible to select a certain
> date
> and time before loading.

Sometimes connecting to this CDC catalog takes a long time, or even times out.
But connecting to the catalog or selecting a data source from the catalog
is not the same as downloading the actual data. Data
is downloaded by the IDV only when required for a display.  You can
pre-select times to display with the IDV, and only that data is downloaded.
You can read how here

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/metapps/idv_help/IDV_selectingParmsTimesDisplays.html#datasourcetimes

The CDC global grids are large, and even for 10 time steps the IDV takes quite a
while
to download data and make displays.

Stuart Wier

303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/