[IDD #JFL-929851]: GLM lightning flash density

Hi,

re:
> Do you happen to have a rough idea on when this grant will expire?

I am under the impression that the grant will run out around the middle
of this month, but I couldn't swear to it.

The expiration of monies to create the TTU products may be a moot point
if LDM access to their feed can not be re-established.  The only reason
I mention this is because the effort and time that it took to get the
firewall/security perimeter setup in the first place was on the order
of weeks, not hours or days.

[update as I as writing this reply]
Our contact at TTU just let us now that there have been some firewall
changes at TTU, and the implication is that part of the changes made
inadvertently interfered with the LDM feed to us.  The TTU networking
folks are being contacted to see if the firewall rule that allows LDM
transfers (port 388) can be restored... fingers crossed!

FYI the fields contained in the VLAB GLM L2 products are:

Flash Extent Density
Total Optical Energy
Minimum Flash Area

re:
> We are currently using the lightning data for briefings to partner agencies
> during summer events. We use it as an overlay with radar data. We cannot
> show other private lightning data sources due to usage restrictions.

We understand the requirement to adhere to existing licensing agreements
when it comes to using lightning data!  Unidata universities have never
been allowed to share the NLDN lightning data that they receive in
point-to-point LDM feeds outside of their institution.

re:
> Thanks for providing the information and looking into the issue.

No worries.

Ticket ID: JFL-929851
Department: Support IDD