[LDM #EOT-784687]: LDM Access request

Hi,

I was prompted to investigate further some of what we discussed in earlier
emails.  In particular, I wanted to better understand one of the comments
you made:

"What the department IT is saying that if we want to have the reverse DNS
setup, the machine needs to move from office to the computer center."

This comment was made in reference to the machine geo.gcoos.org, or,
at least, that was my understanding.

I used the 'whois' facility to see where this machine is located:

- first, I got the IP address for the machine from an 'nslookup'

% nslookup geo.gcoos.org
Server:         128.117.177.1
Address:        128.117.177.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   geo.gcoos.org
Address: 67.207.88.241

- next, I used the IP address in a 'whois' lookup to see where this
  machine is located:

% whois 67.207.88.241
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at: https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/tou/
#
# If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
# https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/whois/inaccuracy_reporting/
#
# Copyright 1997-2020, American Registry for Internet Numbers, Ltd.
#

#
# Query terms are ambiguous.  The query is assumed to be:
#     "n 67.207.88.241"
#
# Use "?" to get help.
#

NetRange:       67.207.64.0 - 67.207.95.255
CIDR:           67.207.64.0/19
NetName:        DIGITALOCEAN-67-207-64-0
NetHandle:      NET-67-207-64-0-1
Parent:         NET67 (NET-67-0-0-0-0)
NetType:        Direct Allocation
OriginAS:       AS14061

Given that Digital Ocean is a cloud provider (so says their
website: https://www.digitalocean.com/), it is not surprising
at all that TAMU IT would tell you that they can not setup
reverse DNS for this (probably virtual) machine since it is
not under their control or even on the TAMU campus.

If I am correct in everything above, you should be contacting
the Digital Ocean folks to see if they can help you get reverse
DNS setup for your machine, not the IT folks at TAMU.

Am I missing something here?

Ticket ID: EOT-784687
Department: Support IDD