[IDD #FNM-508492]: Switching to new ingest computer

Hi Bob,

re:
> Thanks for getting back to me about our switch to another IDD
> ingest machine.

No worries.

re:
> I stopped running the LDM on met-07.oswego.edu
> since most products are coming in on the new machine.

Very good.

re:
> Since I haven't installed ldm-mcidas, we are not getting satellite
> data yet.
> I am hoping that it will be OK to install ldm-mcidas-2004 on
> the new machine. It has been running fine on met-07 for a little over
> four years.  I found the file ldm-mcidas-2004_bin-linux2.6-686.tar.Z
> on met-07.

Just so you know:

- current distributions of Unidata McIDAS, Unidata GEMPAK and the IDV support
  the PNG-compressed images in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD feedtype
  UNIWISC aka MCIDAS) directly.  If you do not intend to use the images for
  other packages, you do not need to run the ldm-mcidas PNG decoder, pnga2area.

- there are newer binary releases of ldm-mcidas decoders for select platforms,
  and these are available via anonymous FTP as follows:

  machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  user:      anonymous
  pass:      address@hidden
  directory: pub/binary/linux_2.6-i686
  file:      ldm-mcidas-2008.tar.gz

  This assumes, of course, that you are running under a modern version of
  Linux.

re:
> Thanks again for your help

No worries.  Please let us know if you run into any snags.

Ticket ID: FNM-508492
Department: Support IDD