[IDD #GEY-291391]: Latency blips when using primary/alternate configuration

Hi Art,

re:
> In a temporary configuration of our LDM relay, I'm feeding CONDUIT data to
> iddrs1.meteo.psu.edu from idd-ingest.meteo.psu.edu exclusively, but
> feeding CONDUIT to iddrs3.meteo.psu.edu from idd-ingest.meteo.psu.edu and
> idd.cise-nsf.gov in a primary/secondary configuration.
> idd-ingest.meteo.psu.edu is getting its CONDUIT data exclusively from
> idd.cise-nsf.gov.  Looking at the Unidata latency graphs, iddrs1 and
> idd-ingest look similar and low, and idd.cise-nsf.gov looks low, but
> iddrs3 has huge blips in it.  These blips, we've noticed, seem to show up
> when a primary/alternate configuration is used.

OK, I understand.

> My question:  are these
> blips some computational figment of the flip/flopping between
> primary/alternate data sources, or is there some real problem being
> detected?

I don't think so.

Question:

- is the LDM queue on iddrs3 the same as the one on iddrs1?

My first hunch is that the sporadic high latencies seen on products
being received from idd.cise-nsf.gov are ones that are not being
rejected as duplicates on iddrs3.  This could happen if the LDM
queue on iddrs3 is not large enough to still be holding "second trip"
products from an upstream.

Second question:

- if the LDM product queues are the same size on iddrs3 and idddrs1,
  is the set of data being sent to them the same?

> Reference URL's for comparisons:
>
> www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?CONDUIT+iddrs1.meteo.psu.edu
> www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?CONDUIT+idd-ingest.meteo.psu.edu
> www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?CONDUIT+iddrs3.meteo.psu.edu