[TIGGE #YSF-211129]: TCP tuning for TIGGE tuning

Hi YangXin,

Thanks for the update regarding the new hardware you're using.  Please let us
know the output from "uname -a"
Network performance tuning can cause unexpected problems, so we'll try changing
only the variables that will
give you the largest improvements.  Try adding the following to
/etc/sysctl.conf and running "sysctl -p"
after the changes are made;

net.core.rmem_max = 1000000
net.core.wmem_max = 1000000
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 524288 2000000
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 2000000

Afterwards, please stop and re-start the LDM.  That should make a noticable
improvement to performance.
If for some reason it seems to make performance worse, change the vaules in
/etc/sysctl.conf back to the
default and re-run "sysctl -p"  Let me know if that works or if it doesn't

mike

> Hi, Steve,
>
> The current platform for TIGGE Data Exchange in CMA is a IBM x3850 equipped
> with 2 2-core processors and 4GB memory,
> running RHEL4 update 4. As you suggested, TCP Tuning should have significant
> impact to the efficiency of data transfer,
> I'd like to do some test to change the important kernel parameters, see if
> the performance can be improved and less
> data will be lost.
>
> I'm sorry that I don't have a deep understanding on network performance
> tuning, so I have to check some books and
> materials to find out what is the critical factor to the networking system.
> I've found serveral parameters that
> probably have impact on TCP performance, but I'm not very sure what value is
> best for LDM to work for our platform.
> These parameters with the default value in our platform are as follows:
>
> net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 0
> net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 0
>
> net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 60
>
> net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 1024
>
> net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096        87380   174760
> net.core.rmem_default = 135168
> net.core.rmem_max = 135168
>
> net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096        16384   131072
> net.core.wmem_default = 135168
> net.core.wmem_max = 135168
>

> I believe there must be some other parameters that are important to TCP
> Tuning. I only enabled
> first two parameter by setting them as follows:
> net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1
>
> and then restarted LDM.
>
> Is it appropriate, do I need to set any other parameters?
>
> Thank you.
>
> YangXin,
> Feb 13.

Ticket ID: YSF-211129