20051107:Setting up an IDD/LDM server

Hi Damian,

Comments in text....

Jeff

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

OK...

> We are not typical consumers of data. Our group is interested in
> gathering these workloads for systems studies. Initially, we would like
> to start out with a low-volume feed.

Low volume in number of products, or low volume regarding bandwidth?

 Do I need to setup a dedicated LDM
> server for this purpose,

If you desire to ingest the data locally, then yes.

 or can I use a feed from another institution,
> perhaps from UCLA or UC-Davis?

You could "feed" from UCLA or UC-Davis if they are willing, or I can find
another host for you.

 Would a Linux development workstation
> work?

Yes, we have systems running on FC4.

 I think talking over the phone about this would be best to work
> out the details.

We use phone as a "last resort" as nobody else can benefit from the
exchange, but if needed we can "do phone"...