Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:54:45 -0500
From: Jerrold Robaidek <address@hidden>
To: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: ldm config change]

Hi Robb,

I'm not sure if you got my voice mail, but just to summarize.

We are having some problems with our block down-converter, and therefore
some of our feed may be coming from nport.alden.com.  Unfortunately it
looks like Alden has not updated their machine yet, so we are relaying
some data with bad headers.  Because of our hardware problems, we must
continue to feed from nport.alden.com unless you have an alternative
suggestion or site to feed from.

We have ordered a new block down-converter, but we are several weeks
away from receiving it.  In the mean time our tech is trying out some
different things to improve upon what we have or at least trying to
provide us with a stop gap solution until the down-converter arrives.

On another topic, as I mentioned to you last week, we intend to move our
ldm server to a machine named sunshine.ssec.wisc.edu, from
noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu.  (we unfortunately can't just rename the machine
since we have non ldm users accessing noaaport.ssec.wisc.edu from behind
firewalls, and changing the name on them would cause them to go through
a several month process to allow a different machine access through
their firewall.)

I have already contacted Alden about allowing sunshine.ssec.wisc.edu
access to nport.alden.com, but the last time I checked, this had not yet
been granted.  After that is done, and our hardware problems are solved,
I will then alert the relevant downstream sites.

And one last thing, could you please add my email address when
contacting SSEC?  Many of the ldm issues directly affect our Datacenter,
and I  also need to know about these things.

Thanks again for your time while Russ and I come up to speed on this
stuff.

Jerry

--
Jerrold Robaidek                        Email:  address@hidden
SSEC Data Center                        Phone: (608) 262-6025