Re: Iita.rap.ucar.edu/UIUC down? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 14:14:05 -0700
From: Peter Neilley <address@hidden>
To: Celia Chen <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Iita.rap.ucar.edu/UIUC down? (fwd)

I'll chime in, although I'm not sure I'm following the whole thread of
the
discussion.

   iita has considerable spare resources (cycles, bandwidth, etc.).
Accordingly,
we've been more than happy to serve as a failover or emergency failover
site for
whomever needs to get a feed in a pinch.  This is always true for the
top level
sites, as well as anyone else who needs one here or there.  For example
on
New Year's eve I gave a feed to Dave Raymond when his upstream site had
Y2K problems.
I suspect that we gave accesses to Gilbert at one time or other and that
allow has
lasted every since.

  As long as it doesn't get out of hand, does it matter much to us who
we feed?
Accordingly, to make management easier for us, I'd prefer to allow ALL
.edu sites
on iita.  We don't overtly advertise this, and periodically check to
make sure its
not abused.  But this way, whenever someone needs a feed, they can be
assured
of grabbing it from iita (without the need for human intervention) if
they
can't get it anywhere else.

Peter