19990608: new unidata ldm server for ACARS

>From: Joan Brundage <address@hidden>

>I've replaced zero in our LDM server configuration with
>shemp.ucar.edu as requested.  Thelma remains.
>
>Before the week is out, we plan to change the feedtype used
>for the QC's ACARS data from FSL2 to PCWS - unless of course
>you have an extra feedtype to give out.  I'll notify when that
>is about to happen.
>
>Joan Brundage, FSL

Joan,

Thank you for making the feed change.
I have turned off the request from zero and started the feed directly
from shemp. We appreciate your efforts to change the feed type to PCWS
for the ACARS data.

The technical problem with using the same feed ID for both the profiler
and ACARS data sets when routing topology is different is the possibility
for a loss of data if a disconnect/reconnect occurs. When a downstream site
has to reconnect, it will use the time of the last product received
as the start point for the data request, and this may be later than
products arriving on the alternate route. Also, we want to properly
protect the ACARS data, and since the profiler data flows down the topology
while we do not want Universities to pass along the ACARS data- since they
will all contact FSL directly for the data- the use of a different
product ID is the best solution.

At this point in time, a reassignment of feedtypes is not a likely
course of action since it would require all sites to upgrade immediately,
and major changes to the LDM are not currently in progress due to
the loss of Glenn Davis. We can investigate this further at a later time.

Thank you again,

Steve Chiswell