20000327: ADDE access to SSEC Data Center realtime databases

>From: Tom Whittaker <address@hidden>
>unirec imagery

Tom,

>You should soon (or maybe you already have) get a note from Dee about
>ADDE access to the Data Center's realtime data bases.

I got a short note from her this morning.

>I was in a
>meeting this morning to discuss this, and I believe the recommendation
>was express a strong desire for this to happen and to start designing a
>way to accomplish this that was best for everyone.

Cool!

>We did spend some
>time talking about direct access to the current server machines, rather
>than an intermediate server

I had thought that staging data to a new, more powerful 'unirec' machine
would help lessen the burden on the Data Center people.  I guess that this
was viewed with some suspicion.  Here is what Dee said in her reply this
morning; my responses to her are included and indented by 2 spaces:

Dee:
>>We met this morning to discuss your plan to provide your users with more
>>realtime data; the consensus is SSEC definitely would like to be involved.

  Tom:
  I never intended for you to not be involved.  My thinking was to be a
  "good neighbor" by trying to minimize the impact on your resources.

Dee:
>>We have a few concerns so we will need to some testing here.

  Tom:
  I expected that there would be quite a bit of jockying for position
  on both sides.

Dee:
>>When you get your survey back it would be useful to know exactly what data
>>and the volume you are thinking about.

  Tom:
  This is really a "chicken and egg" problem.  My idea is to increase
  what is being sent out in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream in a
  reasonable manner.  This would probably take the form of doubling the
  temporal frequency of imager products and increasing the VIS product
  resolution from 4 to 2 km.  With this set as the baseline, I would then
  want to make available by ADDE through the unirec machine as much data
  as is possible/practical.  This means that SSEC and the UPC would need
  to work together to determine what "as much as possible" really means.

>-- that may not be the best for the current
>DC customers, but thought you ought to know that we did not dismiss it
>out of hand.

I appreciate that things were not dismissed out of hand.  I am a little
confused by your comment "that may not be the best for the current DC
customers".  Do you mean that our staging data to an intermediate machine
may not be the best for Data Center customers, or do you mean that
giving Unidata sites access to the primary data servers would be bad
for other DC customers?

>Please let me know if you don't here from her...

She was pretty prompt in her reply.  One thing that came out in an
earlier discussion was her comment that Denise and Tom Achtor needed
to be involved.  This was no suprise, but left me feeling a little
gun shy given the lack of communication from Denise wrt the CIMSS
products.  Do you have any insights?

>BTW, I plum forgot to thank you for letting me stay at Sugarloaf during
>the last UserComm meeting.  Sorry!  And...Thanks!!!!!!

Hey, no problem.  It was really my pleasure!

>You know how
>much I like staying up there, and the snowfall made it particularly
>spectacular on this visit.

It was nice being to make it up the hill even with bad road conditions.

>I do wish I could reciprocate when you were
>in Madison, but I know you've got a problem with all those cats...

Yea, I don't think you would like to see my puffy eyes and hear me
sneezing.  Too bad for the allergy...

>I hope Cathy had a good BD.  You'll have to tell me about the perls
>sometime ;-)

We had a very nice dinner on Saturday evening (the restaurant was
right across from the Mediterranean (the place we went for the User's
Committee dinner).  The food was very good; the atmosphere was nice
but nothing to write home about; but it was pretty pricey ($300 for
four of us).  Cathy kept saying how she was not taking this birthday
well.  Good thing you only turn 50 once!

Later...