[AWIPS #PHZ-247370]: problems with installing on windows

Hi there,

> 1. Cave did not change after deleting the subdirector you suggested. Still
> the same. The
> satellite, surface, radar, maps seem to be working OK. I can step through the
> frames and
> the data displayed changes.

So, CAVE does seem to be working for those data you mentioned, using the direct
installation
on Windows?

> Upper air and NCEP/Hydro both show something downloaded and put listing on
> the map but no
> images. When I click on the circle half white, half black it shows "no image
> selected."

Which products were you trying to load specifically?
I just loaded an SPC redbook product, surface precip QPF and 6 HR precip from
the NCEP/Hydro
menu without issue, and loaded NUCAPS soundings okay from the Upper Air menu.

We did just notice an issue with ROAB products (from the Upper Air menu), so to
fix that please
try:
1. Stopping CAVE
2. Opening a command terminal by typing 'cmd' in the start bar, then hit enter
3. Installing another python package by typing 'pip install scipy==0.15.1',
then enter
4. Removing caveData again, like before
5. Restarting CAVE and reloading the data
* Note, the ' are not meant to be typed, just to signify in between them what
text should be typed

Also, the reason clicking the half white and black circle gave you that
message, is because
not all of our products are "image" products, some are "graphic" products and
don't have the
same settings.  You can read more about that from one of our previous AWIPS
Tips entries:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/understanding-graphic-vs-image-products

> 2. Using VMWare to load the program the menus and icons are so small that I
> can tell what
> is there after remembering the locations from looking at CAVE. I was not able
> to enlarge
> them. In windows the display list resolution and display magnification is set
> to 250. If
> VMWare has display magnification that would probably do it but in looking
> around I could
> not find it.

As far as the icon size in the screen for the virtual machine, that is entirely
a VMWare
resolution setting with your monitor.  I can only suggest looking through their
documentation
or forum, or contacting there support for further help if the link I sent you
previously
did not work:
 https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2058577

> Is there any logs of information from the programs that could help you see
> what is going on?

The terminal that pops up when you are running CAVE natively on Windows could
output some
useful errors if you're able to copy those when you try and load data in the
Windows version.

You can try and capture this information first and send it back to us before
trying any of
the other troubleshooting steps if you wish, or we could resort to this if
those steps don't
work.

Thanks.
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: PHZ-247370
Department: Support AWIPS