[AWIPS #DTH-159534]: EDEX grib2 processing question

Hi Pete,

Since the metadata are identical you will need to change something (like the
process/model id).

If you look at #24 in this link:
https://www.ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib2/tricks.wgrib2

it shows how to change the process id of a grib2 file. wgrib2 should already be
installed (with AWIPS). You should be able to do that, update your projection
file, probably drop the tables in your database, and restart EDEX.

> Hi Shay - these are Conusarw and Conusmem2 grib files in lambert conformal
> projection.   Here is the metadata per psql
>
> Notice they are identical
>
> metadata=> select
> nx,ny,dx,dy,majoraxis,minoraxis,la1,lo1,lov,latin1,latin2,spacingunit,lad,la2,latin,lo2,firstgridpointcorner
>  from gridcoverage where id=(select distinct(location_id) from grid_info
> where datasetid='test1.grb2);
> nx  |  ny  |  dx   |  dy   | majoraxis | minoraxis |  la1  |   lo1    | lov |
> latin1 | latin2 | spacingunit | lad | la2 | latin | lo2 | firstgridpointcorner
> ------+------+-------+-------+-----------+-----------+-------+----------+-----+--------+--------+-------------+-----+-----+-------+-----+----------------------
> 1473 | 1025 | 5.079 | 5.079 |   6371229 |   6371229 | 12.19 | -133.459 | -95
> |     25 |     25 | km          |     |     |       |     | LowerLeft
>
> metadata=> select
> nx,ny,dx,dy,majoraxis,minoraxis,la1,lo1,lov,latin1,latin2,spacingunit,lad,la2,latin,lo2,firstgridpointcorner
>  from gridcoverage where id=(select distinct(location_id) from grid_info
> where datasetid='test2.grb2');
> nx  |  ny  |  dx   |  dy   | majoraxis | minoraxis |  la1  |   lo1    | lov |
> latin1 | latin2 | spacingunit | lad | la2 | latin | lo2 | firstgridpointcorner
> ------+------+-------+-------+-----------+-----------+-------+----------+-----+--------+--------+-------------+-----+-----+-------+-----+----------------------
> 1473 | 1025 | 5.079 | 5.079 |   6371229 |   6371229 | 12.19 | -133.459 | -95
> |     25 |     25 | km          |     |     |       |     | LowerLeft
>
> So our gridproj files in
> /awips2/edex/data/utility/common_static/base/grib/grids    for conusarw.xml
> and conusmem2.xml end up looking almost the same except for the <name> tag
>
> Here is conusarw.xml
> <lambertConformalGridCoverage>
> <name>14731025_conusarw</name>
> <description>1473 by 1025 grid at 5079.000000 m horizontal res</description>
> <nx>1473</nx>
> <ny>1025</ny>
> <dx>5.079000000</dx>
> <dy>5.079000000</dy>
> <spacingUnit>km</spacingUnit>
> <la1>12.19</la1>
> <lo1>-133.459</lo1>
> <firstGridPointCorner>LowerLeft</firstGridPointCorner>
> <lov>-95.000000</lov>
> <latin1>25.000000</latin1>
> <latin2>25.000000</latin2>
> </lambertConformalGridCoverage>
>
> And conusmem2.xml is identical EXCEPT  for its name tag which we have set as
> <name>14731025_conusmem2</name>
>

> And therefore EDEX does not know which model definition to use despite the
> grid tag below corresponding to the proper name tag in the grid proj files.
>
> <model>
> <name>FE_CONUSARW_US5km</name>
> <center>7</center>
> <subcenter>0</subcenter>
> <grid>14731025_conusarw</grid>
> <process>
> [...]

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: DTH-159534
Department: Support AWIPS