[AWIPS #JNH-416861]: AWIPS question sent to Unidata Contact Form

Hello!

You submitted the following question on Unidata's "Contact Me" web
form yesterday:

  From: Michael Nagle (address@hidden)
  Date: 9/12/2022

  Yes i wonder if you could help me. I am a meteorologist and am retired
  after 42 years of forecasting. I'm interested in using AWIPS software
  to keep up with my forecasting even though i no longer forecast for
  any city or companies anymore. One question i have is that I have a
  12' satellite dish/C Band and can receive the NWS signal from Galaxy
  28 and realize they will be changing the signal to Galaxy 31 by
  January of 2023. Your Awips software will i be able to send the signal
  from my NOVRA 300 receiver into the software or is it only used in
  conjunction with the internet?

I'm not certain what would be involved in ingesting data from your
NOVRA into a local EDEX server for use with the AWIPS CAVE client, so
I am forwarding your question to our AWIPS development team at
address@hidden. My initial reaction, however, is that
you may find it useful to connect to Unidata's cloud-based EDEX server
rather than setting up your own. (You may be interested in specific
data available only via your receiver, so this may not work for you.)
I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the material on Unidata's
AWIPS page (https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/awips2/) if you have
not done so already.

Thanks for your interest!
Doug Dirks

--
Douglas Dirks (He/Him)
Unidata Community Services

I acknowledge that the land I live and work on is the Traditional Territory of
the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute. Colorado's Front Range is a contemporary and
traditional site of trade and gathering for many Indigenous people.