[AWIPS #MOM-689702]: Lightning data from local feed

Hi Pete,

> Where did you get that format btw??
In the textlightninig EDEX plugin (baseline code), there are a number of given
formats that the lightning data tries to match to. That file is here:
https://github.com/Unidata/awips2/blob/unidata_18.2.1/edexOsgi/com.raytheon.edex.plugin.textlightning/src/com/raytheon/edex/plugin/textlightning/impl/TextLightningParser.java

Some examples are listed there: line 169, line 202, line 240, etc.

> 1. The amplitude is implicit how its plotted (as a + or - sign) in CAVE and
> what "unknown" title in the product stack it will then fall under. But
> removing >the - sign will always have it plotted/listed as +. I will try the
> other pattern and let you know what happens.

Correct, but whether it's -2.2 vs -22, it will show up the same in CAVE (as a
negative CG and vice versa if there was no "-"). So you should be able to use
the first pattern.

> 2. As for the pqact entry here it is... its pretty generic.
> # NLDN
> LIGHTNING LIGHTNING
> FILE -close -edex /awips2/data_store/lightning/%Y%m%d%H%M.nldn
> pqinsert -v -l ./log.log -f LIGHTNING ./test_nldn

Looking at your pqact entry, it's expecting a feedtype of "LIGHTNING" and a
filename or WMO header of "LIGHTNING"
Looking at your pqinsert command, you are giving it the feedtype "LIGHTNING"
but your file doesn't have a WMO header and your filename is not "LIGHTNING"
Depending on how you are storing your initial file/passing it in via your
pqinsert you will need to update your pqact entry to match the filename. I can
help with that once you let me know how you are storing your file.

> We'd like to pursue the pqact method since it *should* work and rendering in
> CAVE will be implicit based on polarity and should fall under the already-
> >present NLDN menu in CAVE's "Surface" menu.

Using pqact method is fine, however that is not what specifies how the data
will be ingested by EDEX. Because you have text data, EDEX will decode your
file using the textlightning plugin, not the binlightning (NLDN) plugin. With
the current code, the textlightning plugin stores the data as "UNKN" using the
first two pattern matching strings. In order to store the data as "NLDN" the
java code would need to be updated by adding a new pattern matching block and
setting the LightSource as "NLDN".

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform