Re: [visad] HDF-EOS and Java

While I am not sure what you mean by "access", but first, let's have a
look at the structure of the "data" variable.  After you read the
data, please call these two functions:

visad.jmet.DumpType.dumpMathType(data.getType());
and
visad.jmet.DumpType.dumpDataType(data);

This should produce text output that will describe the structure of
your "data" and may help.

I should add this:  I am surprised that any of that old HDF code works
at all...NCSA has not supported it for at least ten years!  We have
pretty much been abandon by them, and instead are relying more on the
netcdf-java library from Unidata to provide access to HDF files;
although this does not produce a VisAD Data object, it does allow one
to read the variables and their associated metadata which can then be
used to construct Fields as needed.

tom