unix or windows?

Thanks for the parallel coordinates help, Bill!

Now I have what is maybe a really dumb question.

Is there a preferred machine/OS/development environment
for VisAD?

I'm asking because I need to buy a new computer and I
don't know what to buy. I'm very comfortable with unix,
which I currently use with X-win32 from a PC. I've used
sparcs in the past and I'm comfortable with them too.
I've been using IBM Visual Age for Java and this seems
very nice, but it's my understanding that this only works
on a PC. So I'm torn...

Thanks for any advice.

Adele.