20010116: mcidas base map files and the grib coordinate system

>From: yetzer <yetzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Ken-

>I have written up an applet partly based upon the "ShowNCEPModel code
>that displays eta model data (the grib grid number is 212).  However I'm
>using a 2D display rather than a 3D display and my code does not read in
>the grids in netcdf format (it reads them in ascii format).  The problem
>I am having is when I render the display with an overlaid map (either of
>the mcidas area format maps included with ShowNCEPModel:  OUTLUSAM or
>OUTLSUPW) the map and the display don't appear to be aligned correctly
>(it appears to be several pixels off).  For example,  If I display
>surface temperature I can clearly see the outline of an Island (i.e.,
>Cuba), but this temperature outline does not match up with the map
>outline.  Could you possibly shed some light on this  problem.

This sounds like one of the coordinate system transforms is off.
Could be a 0/1 problems in GRIBCoordinateSystem, or something
in your code.  Would it be possible to package it up or send
a sample for me to test?

>Another question I have is if I try to use a different map (i.e.,
>OUTLCNTY) which was obtained from the metapps code, the display wont be
>rendered at all.   Thank you.

OUTLCNTY does not work with BaseMapAdapter very well. I started
to track the problem down, but decided it was easier to use
the ShapefileAdapter that Unidata developed and read in the
AWIPS county file.  OUTLCNTY is an ill formed McIDAS file that
was created by Unidata by combining a bunch of smaller files.
There is something in there that BMA doesn't like.

I'm at AMS this week, but if you can send me a message
with our code or an example, I'll try to look into it
next week.

Don
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/