Re: [thredds] data won't return from

I thought it was working for me, but for the wrong reasons. Sorry about
that. But, now I have it.

The error message from the server is...well...garbage. That's something we
need to look into. The underlying problem here is that the new data file
does not include the variable project. Because variable "project" exists in
the other files (or more specifically, the first file of the aggregation),
and specifically because it has time as it's outer dimension, currently it
must exist in all files of the aggregation. So, we can make an ascii
request for that variable specifically, and request everything up to the
last value, and it works [0:1:424]:

https://chldata.erdc.dren.mil/thredds/dodsC/frf/geomorphology/DEMs/surveyDEM/surveyDEM.ncml.ascii?project%5B0:1:424%5D

However, once we ask for the last value, it bombs [0:1:424] :

https://chldata.erdc.dren.mil/thredds/dodsC/frf/geomorphology/DEMs/surveyDEM/surveyDEM.ncml.ascii?project%5B0:1:425%5D

It's only like this for the full read code path, though. If I slice it from
[1:1:424] (skip the first value), it works

https://chldata.erdc.dren.mil/thredds/dodsC/frf/geomorphology/DEMs/surveyDEM/surveyDEM.ncml.ascii?project%5B1:1:425%5D

...and the missing value gets filled with a zero, because why not (well,
ok, I can think of a few reasons). So, from the TDS side, and more
specifically netCDF-Java, this is a bug (well, bugs, because returning zero
isn't quite the thing to do here either).

>From what I can understand, netCDF-C tries to preload some data from remote
servers (if the variable is considered "small enough"), and because the
variable "project" is "small enough", the library tries to grab it all and
the request bombs out. You can tell the C library to not do that by adding
"#noprefetch" at the end of the url when opening the dataset, but that just
delays things (unless you or the underlying library you are using never
tries to fully read the variable "project"). So, in your sample python
code, pass Netcdf4Python's Dataset the following URL and give it a spin:

https://chldata.erdc.dren.mil/thredds/dodsC/frf/geomorphology/DEMs/surveyDEM/surveyDEM.ncml#noprefetch

Cool...so what to do until I can get this fixed. Three things off the top
of my head:

1. Add "#noprefetch" to your URL (and anyone else using the dataset). Barf.
2. Use NcML in the aggregation to remove the variable "project" all
together, as it seems to be -999.0 when it does exist anyways.
3. Add the variable "project" to the latest file (NcML or by rewriting it).

Sorry this took so long to debug. There will be a fix, it will just take
some time (maybe early next week since I believe I know exactly what needs
done and where).

Cheers,

Sean