Re: [thredds] tdm and passwords

Greetings Roy,

Our documentation needs work, for sure, and I will look at improving things .

The TDS and TDM only communicate over http; this communication requires
authorization, as provided by tomcat (in the case of the example in the
documentation - I am not sure about other server containers). Locally, at a
minimum, the system user running the TDM needs to be able to read the
configuration catalog files used by the TDS (to know what collections to
index), and the system user running the TDS needs to be able to read the
index files written by the TDM. The system user running the tomcat process
can be the same system user running the TDM process, but it does not have
to be that way. In our configuration, the user running the ldm also runs
the TDM, but tomcat is running under a heavily restricted user on the
system. Also, the system user running the tdm jar is not connected to the
user name specified in tomcat-users.xml file.

In order for the TDM to talk to the TDS (that is, tell the TDS that new
files are available to serve and that the client catalogs need to be
refreshed), a Tomcat user needs to be configured such that it has the role
tdsTrigger in tomcat-users.xml. In the docs, we call that tomcat user tdm,
but it can be whatever you like (I think), and again, is not tied to the
system user running the tdm process.  The user and password configured in
tomcat-users.xml is the user and password given to the TDM via the cred
flag, which is passed to the tdm jar.

As for trigger, I don’t think that works in the update element anymore. We
used to allow the TDS to try to update the collection index files
along-side the TDM, but now only the TDM can update index files. I would
leave it out all together. The trigger attribute in the TDM element
defaults to true, so you should be able to leave it out.

Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Sean