[thredds] tdm and passwords

Hi All:

I have always found the TDM documentation confusing,  and the interplay between
the TDM and TDS unclear.  Anyway,  I am working on setting this up,  and I am
looking at:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/reference/collections/TDM.html

> Upon startup, if -tds was used, but -cred was not, you will be prompted for
> the password for the tdm user password. This allows you to start up the TDM
> without putting the password into a startup script. Note that user tdm should
> be given only the role of tdsTrigger, which only gives rights to trigger
> collection reloading

So am I correct that the tdm should not be run by the user say "tomcat" that is
running the TDS?  And if that is so,  why not set up the TDM user with no
login,   as is normally done for the TDS user, and in that case what to give
when it asks for the password?

Next, the docs say:

> The TDM scans the files in the feature Collection, and when it detects that
> the collection has changed, rewrites the index files. If enabled, it will
> send a trigger message to the TDS, and the TDS will reload that dataset. To
> enable this, you must configure the TDS with the tdsTrigger role, and add the
> user tdm with that role. Typically you do that by editing the
> ${tomcat}/conf/tomcat-user.xml file, eg:
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> <tomcat-users>
>   <role ... />
>   <role rolename="tdsTrigger"/>
>   <user ... />
>   <user username="tdm" password="secret" roles="tdsTrigger"/>
> </tomcat-users>

Now is this password the same or different from the first password above?  If
it is set here,  is that what I will be asked for on starting,  or the user
password

Finally,  if I put the lines:

>  <tdm rewrite="true" rescan="0 0/15 * * * ? *" trigger="allow"/>
> <update startup="never" trigger="allow" />

as in the example in the webpage  in a file that appears to be correct, and
check in a parser,  the "trigger" term throws an error.  Is that the correct
format,  and should I just ignore the parser error?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

-Roy

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst