Re: [thredds] issue with fileServer service

  • To: Mark Maciolek <mlm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] issue with fileServer service
  • From: Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal <roy.mendelssohn@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 20:01:20 -0700
Hi Mark:

Can I suggest that you setup another, clean copy of tomcat with nothing else in
it (you can always copy over any existing catalogs later).  Put thredds.war in
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps, edit a setting.sh in  $TOMCAT_HOME/bin  ( and if you like
post a copy of that to make certain you have set up correctly), and make
certain your permissions are set such that whatever “user” is running tomcat
has read/write permissions in the $TOMCAT_HOME directories.  Normally this is a
user “tomcat” with no login shell.

This will give you a clean install, and the war file should expand.  You can
then shutdown the tomcat, edit the new thredds config file, and copy over
catalogs that you have in the present one.  We usually start with one simple
datasets and make certain that all the services run with that.  It
uncomplicated things that way.

Also, if you are proxying in Apache, so that the TDS URL does not contain a
port number, which is good practice, you most likely need to proxy each and
every service.  To see if the service is working, test the service  with a
request on the local machine to localhost:8080  (assuming tomcat is running on
8080), then test with the proxy URL

HTH,

-roy

> [...]
> existing thredds/ directory and thredds.war.
> * Specify tds.content.root.path in $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/setenv.sh [1]. It should
> be an empty or non-existent directory (thredds will create it if necessary)
> * Run $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh
>
> What SHOULD happen is that thredds will copy some default catalogs and
> datasets into your content root and successfully startup. You will have
> HTTPServer and OpenDAP access to many of the examples.
>
> Are you following this exact procedure? If so, I'm basically out of ideas, as
> I can't debug it in person. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
>
> [1]
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/UpgradingTo4.6.html
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Mark Maciolek <mlm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi,
>
> even worst luck trying it with Tomcat 7 on a different server will not even
> deploy thredds.war.
>
>  ERROR Unable to invoke factory method in class class
> org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.FileAppender
>

> Mark
>

> On 7/2/2015 6:24 AM, Mark Maciolek wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I would have to move the web site to a new server as everything I read says
>> thredds 4.6 require Java 7 and Tomcat 7.
>> The current web server the site is on can't be upgraded since it would break
>> the other tomcat sites.
>>
>> The only error in the apache log is that
>> /web/opal/webapps/ROOT/thredds/fileServer not found which is true but then
>> /web/opal/webapps/ROOT/thredds/dodsC does not exist either but the OPENDAP
>> links work.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On 7/2/2015 12:37 AM, Christian Ward-Garrison wrote:
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> I just noticed that you're running v4.3, which is quite old at this point.
>>> Would you mind trying 4.6.2? [1] This document may be useful. [2]
>>>
>>> Also, I noticed that for your HTTPServer request, you're getting an Apache
>>> 404 page, not a Tomcat one. Maybe something in the Apache config is at
>>> fault?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> [1] ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/thredds/4.6/current/thredds.war
>>> [2]
>>> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/UpgradingTo4.6.html
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Mark Maciolek <mlm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> Finally found time to try this again. I went back to plain catalog.xml with
>>> just test data.
>>>
>>> I noticed in the logs that I never see fileServer in the serverStartup.log
>>> but do see
>>> the opendap
>>>
>>> serverStartup: thredds.server.opendap.OpendapServlet initialization start
>>> 2015-07-01T21:10:22.371-0400 [      1083][       1] INFO  serverStartup:
>>> thredds.server.opendap.OpendapServlet version= opendap/3.7 ascLimit = 50
>>> binLimit = 500
>>> 2015-07-01T21:10:22.371-0400 [      1083][       1] INFO  serverStartup:
>>> thredds.server.opendap.OpendapServlet initialization done
>>>
>>> Should I not see some thredds.server.??? about the fileServer
>>>
>>> The only http line is:
>>>
>>> serverStartup: CdmInit: HTTPFileCache.initCache= [10,20] scour = 1020
>>>
>>> So am I missing some folder from content/WEB-INF/classes/thredds/server/  ?
>>>
>>> Mark

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst