Re: [thredds] nco as a web service

Roy-

> ...  One comment.  I think you misunderstood my point about
> Matlab and R.  I am not interested in Matlab specific
> implementations.  The point was because the URL completely
> defines the request, I can implement scripts in any application
> that can send an URL and receive a file in terms of functions
> built-in to that application - that is my clients do not break as
> the application or operating system change.

Not quite sure I understand. This phrase "...receive a file in
terms of functions built-in to that application" sounds
like you are creating an association between functions defined
on the client side and functions defined on the server side.
Can you elaborate?

> Why I strongly prefer, if it is at all reasonable, services that
> only use GET, not POST.

Again, that is only possible if you keep your requests
short enough to not violate the URL length restrictions.

=Dennis Heimbigner
 Unidata

Roy Mendelssohn wrote:
Hi Dennis:

Thanks.  One comment.  I think you misunderstood my point about Matlab and R.
I am not interested in Matlab specific implementations.  The point was because
the URL completely defines the request, I can implement scripts in any
application that can send an URL and receive a file in terms of functions
built-in to that application  - that is my clients do not break as the
application or operating system change.

While I understand why this occurred, a few years ago we had straight OPeNDAP
implementations.  We had a lot of users using scripts we developed for Matlab,
running under Windows.  Due to updates in both Windows and Matlab, the OPeNDAP
files for Windows stopped working (at least for Matlab).  We had a lot of users
that were left stranded and stranded for quite a long time.  Developing and
maintaining clients, particularly clients that are working within an
application for which you have to write code, very quickly becomes a
non-trivial exercise.

Since we switched to a service where the URL completely defines the request,
our Matlab and R scripts have survived quite nicely any number of updates both
to the applications themselves and to the operating systems.  That is because
the clients now only use functions built into the applications.

Why I strongly prefer, if it is at all reasonable, services that only use GET,
not POST.

-Roy