Re: [thredds] FMRC URL's: dataset name now matters in TDS 4.2

  • To: Rich Signell <rsignell@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [thredds] FMRC URL's: dataset name now matters in TDS 4.2
  • From: "Arthur A. Person" <person@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:38:11 -0500 (EST)
John et. al.,

I think the server should be configurable to supply whatever URL the administrator wants to set up... however, this doesn't solve the name collision problem. It may be that more thought needs to be put into standardization of the names for data sets... maybe even a registration system whereby users can create names, or at least submit them for acceptance, as a standard name? Just sticking the name into the URL will solve the problem short-term, but I'm concerned that this will morph into many instances of names for identical products and make things more confusing. Since I'm pretty new to THREDDS, perhaps I'm missing something here... correct me if I'm wrong...

                              Art