Re: [thredds] vertical coordinate

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, Kyle Shannon wrote:

Hello everyone,
I am trying to use the netCDF subset tools and I was wondering what values are
acceptable for the 'vertCoord'
variable.  Can I specify height above ground level and set vertCoord to n
meters above the ground?

Hiya Kyle,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question but the netCDF subset tool can only return values that are in the file. For instance, if the file has 2 meter height above ground level, you can not request 5 meters above ground.

Here's a sample url DGEX_Alaska_12km grid

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8081/thredds/ncss/grid/fmrc/NCEP/DGEX/Alaska_12km/files/DGEX_Alaska_12km_20091101_1200.grib2/dataset.html

Looking at the page, you can see that the values that are acceptable are the values next to variable Geopotential_height.

with Vertical Levels (pressure) :  100000.0 85000.0 70000.0 50000.0 25000.0 Pa
Geopotential_height

Documentation about vertical coordinates says:

For Grid as Point only , you may specify the vertical coordinate. The vertical slice closest to the requested coordinate will be returned. The possible vertical coordinates are shown in the Dataset Descriptor document. If you specify multiple variables with different vertical coordinates, ambiguous results are possible, and you are advised not to use the service in this way. If you do, the following rules are used:

1. Variables are examined in order they appear in the query, and the vertical coordinate for the first variable that has one is used. 2. The service loops through the levels of that vertical coordinate, and for each variable looks for the closest value (ignoring units!!) 3. If the value is outside the range for that variable, a missing value (NaN) is used.

Example:

    * vertCoord=850

For more information:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/interfaceSpec/NetcdfSubsetService.html