Re: [thredds] JAVA_OPTS: Data Directory?

Hi Eliot,

I'm not sure which directory(ies) you mean so I'm going to answer two
different questions.

1) You can specify any number of data directories in the TDS
configuration catalogs by referencing them in the "location" attribute
of a "datasetRoot" or "datasetScan" element. More information on TDS
config catalogs is available in our TDS admin tutorial:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tutorial/
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tutorial/BasicConfig.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/tutorial/ConfigCatalogs.html

and in our TDS reference:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/CatalogConfiguration.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/THREDDS/tech/reference/DatasetScan.html

2) When running under Apache Tomcat, the TDS config catalogs are located
in ${TOMCAT_HOME}/content/thredds. I would guess it would be similar
under Glassfish but we don't test with Glassfish so I'm not really sure.

In TDS 3.17 and before, the location of the "content/thredds" directory
was not configurable.

TDS 4.0 (now in alpha release) does support configuring the location of
the "content/thredds" directory by setting the "tds.content.root.path"
system property. For instance, by adding the following to JAVA_OPTS in
your startup script:

-Dtds.content.root.path=<some_absolute_path>

The TDS will look for the config catalog files in the
<some_absolute_path>/thredds directory.

Hope that helps.

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690