[netcdfgroup] Using Fancy Compressors (zfp, etc) in netCDF

All,

This is a bit of a general question inspired by going to the "Compression for Scientific Data" tutorial at SC18 last week. Namely, is there currently an easy way to test out and try new compressors like zfp and SZ in netCDF?

I know they need to be compiled and registered and all with HDF5 (which I could probably get to happen), but as my shop is a netCDF (Fortran) shop and not an HDF5 shop, I can't quite use them until they can be accessed through netCDF.

A search online shows that perhaps once there was a "compress" branch of netCDF-C, but it seems stale.

Is there any effort in Unidata to start supporting the HDF5 extra compressors? Or are they supported and I just don't know enough advanced netCDF to know how to use them (always possible!)?

Thanks,
Matt
--
Matt Thompson, SSAI, Sr Scientific Programmer/Analyst
NASA GSFC,    Global Modeling and Assimilation Office